Thursday, June 18, 2009

Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got, I'm still Jesus from the block

Went to the Vatican Museum today. A lot of art depicting violent battles, a sad skinny Christ and popes with smiles with everyone from paupers to kings bowing before them. Is this the essence of Catholicism? Lots of extravagance, lots of money spent here. I couldn't help but wonder where this power came from...did the Crusades have something to do with it? Possibly. Remember those fashionable lanyards from about 7 years ago: What Would Jesus Do? I think that the Catholic church should have pondered this a bit more over the years. Would Christ approve of these castle-like monuments being built in his name? I'm not denouncing Catholicism altogether. I think Mother Theresa is a great example Catholicism at it's best. Also, on the streets just outside of the Vatican City I saw a monk kneeling down and talking to a homeless youth. This is how I like to see Catholicism. And while I'm on the topic, does anyone else think Pope Benidict XVI looks evil as hell? May God bless us all.

No comments: